seamlessly serving up highfashion talent
Swipecast is creating a platform for models to book jobs and for producers to source talent, fast. I partnered with their team on an experience and branding refresh project for their iOS and web app, in an effort to enhance their search & browse experiences, while also bringing their brand to life for the ultimate high-fashion connector.
For models, it should be easier to browse the wide variety of jobs available, and it should be simpler for producers to find the right fit for their bookings. That was, and is, Swipecast’s goal. Unfortunately, the user experience didn’t showcase this very well. Despite having very different goals, the experience for models and producers all blended into one.
I was brought in to collaborate with the team in an effort to identify the problem areas within the flow, and to rebuild an experience that served both user groups individually. In addition, I wanted to bring the content to the forefront and allow the user to easily browse and find what they are looking for more seamlessly.
Additionally, I wanted to elevate the brand and make it more sleek, modern and high-fashion. I worked closely with the internal team across several disciplines (engineering, sales, key stakeholders) to understand existing pain points and user friction; I used this feedback to solve core issues. We began with the mobile experience and then eventually moved to desktop.
EVALUATION & ANALYSIS
Beginning with their current framework, I conducted a heuristic evaluation with a full assessment of their existing flow. I wanted to identify where there were friction points and usability issues. I discovered that the default tab is not personalized to what the user is looking for. Regardless of type of talent or type of producer, all users are shown this same screen, and it never changes or gets updated.
I also tested the current app with a variety of different users — some who had the app installed and others who hadn’t heard of it before —to understand what areas were intuitive vs not. By giving a few “example searches” to the users, I watched and learned the steps they took and how/where they got stuck.
Some common feedback:
“It always looks the same. I have no idea if new jobs or people are added or if I should check it.”
“The jobs listed in the jobs tab did not apply to me so I figured they had nothing for me. I can’t filter or search there.”
“It’s so dark and heavy - the images are small and the text is all really small.”
Using what I had learned, I started by revamping the content architecture. It was important to acknowledge that the entire app did not need to be rebuilt —there were a lot of good foundational elements that we could leverage going forward. I created the sequence below and highlighted which areas would stay as is vs which areas were new and would be introduced into the new flow.
In addition, it was important to note which pages would only be for client producers, and as a result, not shown to talent users, separating out these experiences. A majority of the restructure effected the first two tabs: Explore and Search, as I found there was a big opportunity to enhance these areas.
After establishing the new flow, I moved to wireframes. While keeping all the learnings from our test users top of mind, I flushed out the details for each of the screens. I thought about the types of content we were showing to the user, how we could best display the information, and the level of interaction & engagement we required at any given point.
Moving into design, I first focused on a bit of a refresh to the aesthetic— really wanting to leverage a high-fashion, editorial, fresh modern look. I changed to the overall feel to a lighter tone, leveraged their sleek imagery, and brought in some new typography to help with hierarchy for a more editorial feel.
A few of the areas we focused on specifically:
Explore: Overall, I wanted users to feel comfortable browsing, to witness the breadth of the content, and to have a strong brand experience — Making this view intuitive and obvious to all users.
Search: As a heavily used area of the app,I felt there was much need for improvement. I made sure there were actions for each state of the user: empty loading state into user-initiated state, a loading state through results state. Also, we created a “no results” option where we served up suggested and/or related results based on keyword.
My Jobs: This view is specifically for talent users. Here, they monitor jobs that they have been requested for (and added to their calendar), track those they have applied to, and respond to incoming job requests.
Filters: This area became a lot more engaging for a user. The filters loaded are now based on what the user is specifically looking for. If the filters are not relevant to the type of talent, they are not shown.
For those on the search for talent and for talent on the search to be booked, that search — for both users — is now a lot more streamlined, engaging, and photo-ready.